Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Priyank
Hey all!

First off, I am so sorry for going missing the past two weeks. Obligations and some life stuff completely swamped my time.

Also big news, right after my previous post I went to practice again and this time I quickly got the hang of coasting with my right foot on the pedal. The next day, I practiced for the first time with my left foot and got a hang of it in about 30 minutes.

Having some confidence with both legs separately, I pulled up the other leg on my next try and caught the pedal under my foot, and managed to pedal, swerving, about 30 meters!

It's a little thing but it felt so great, haha. The next few days I got better with maintaining a straight line, keeping my head pointing forwards and pedaling continuously for longer. As of a few days ago, I can pedal without stopping, turn, u-turn and also have gotten a little better at balancing at slow speed.

A huge, huge, thanks to everyone in this thread. Again, this is a little thing, but I have always been the clumsy, uncoordinated, unfit, weak guy and never having learned how to ride a bicycle was a part of that image and self-image. So being able to get on top of this is personally a big deal for me, I feel confident and capable in a way I rarely ever have and seriously, in no small part due to all the help I got in this thread. I have never had encouragement like this and the positivity went a long way, as did the stories some of you shared about your own experience learning, the tips and the insights.

And a huge take away here is, if I can learn to ride anyone who is technically physically capable of it can do it! In total it took me 7~ hours to get to pedaling and 10~ to be able to.pedal continuously and make turns accurately and confidently.
Dood! This is just fantastic to read! Seriously, after a "classic Monday" at work, it warmed my soul to get home and read your update. Congrats all around on the accomplishment!

Crossing the can-do-it threshold puts all of the benefits of the skill within your reach. Economical transportation, exploring, general and cardio fitness, weight loss (if that's a goal), and then there's the social side of it if you are inclined to find a rider's group.

Congrats again, and thanks for posting the update.

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...