DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
How long does the cooling effect last? I've been wanting to find a way to cool off during my ride to work, this looks like it should work. It looks like you could rewet it when it dries out and have it start working again, is that how it works? That would be handy for the ride home.
For me at least, it seems to last the whole ride-- I can only think of a couple rides where it was hot and dry enough to dry out the cap. Usually when I get home it's still damp-- but just damp, which means the evaporative cooling effect is working. When I take off a Headsweats at the end of a ride, it hits the bench with a soggy plop.

If it's really hot, I'll just squirt from the waterbottle through the helmet vents, and the genuine cold feeling from the water lasts for probably 10-15 minutes. The Mission caps (I've found) are much cooler overall than others. Halo do indeed funnel the sweat away from your eyes, but they also seem to make a lot more of it.

I also take one of the Mission cooling towels (the kind that you wet and snap) with me when I know it's gonna get hot, and those are a miracle. I put it around my neck and it stays cold for over an hour, even in +100º weather.