Old 08-16-19, 07:17 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm excellent on bikes, and mediocre at best on kick scooters. They are manifestly NOT the same balancing skill. It's absurd. It's a completely different position with an entirely different center of gravity and a completely different propulsion system.
I don't know about it being a different balancing skill. A few years back when my son was on training wheels, he also had a two-wheel scooter that he liked to ride around. Somehow he taught himself how to balance it as I saw him push off to get it going, then kept his foot up as he rode it around. I knew that he would transition easily to a bike, and the day we took his training wheels off it took less than 5 minutes for him to be riding around on his own.

My 7-year-old daughter, on the other hand, doesn't want me to take her training wheels off and is a bit timid about learning to ride. My plan is to remove her training wheels & pedals and to teach her how to balance just by coasting down a small incline. But she's going to have to want to do it. Convincing her might not be easy.