Old 08-19-19, 07:14 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Because of the higher center of gravity, the bike is actually easier to balance. If you push a bike without a rider, the bike actually balances itself as long as it's going fast enough. I don't believe you can do that with a scooter. As a kid, I was proficient on a bike long before I became so on a scooter. There's a reason balance bikes are bike shaped. You're just adding a level of complexity and an unnecessary piece of equipment to the process of learning.

There's a superficial similarity, but what you have to do to propel and balance a scooter are most definitely not the same things you do on a bike. Bikes are much easier to balance.
From physics class I had thought gyroscopic effect of spinning bike wheels helped a lot with bike balance but apparently it's minor, the steering geometry is more important.

https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/201...ycle-balanced/

Weirdest learning-to-ride thing I've seen was on the local bike path: a 10-yr old kid was riding, followed by his mom & dad who kept hollering 'advice' & 'encouragement'. I saw the kid fall over twice...parents kept saying 'do this' & 'don't do that' etc. I realized the kid was basically capable of riding but he was getting so sick of the parents' hectoring that he was actually deliberately ditching the bike in the hope they'd give up. But the parents were oblivious.