Old 10-08-09, 09:12 PM
Everhandy
Freedom Fighter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CameronC
I this worth anything near what the guy is asking??

http://houston.craigslist.org/bik/1412745364.html

I have here a gloss black centurion accordo road bike for sale. The bike rides SMOOTHLY and shifts SMOOTHLY! Very fast bike. GREAT condition with minimal scratches. 55 cm!

-CR-MO double butted tubes
-CR-MO steel fork blade
-Exage Action front derailleur
-Exage Action rear derailleur
-Exage Action brake levers and clamps
-Exage Sport crankset
-Shimano LX shifters
-Specialized bottle cage
-Bontrager saddle
-700x28C wheels
-Forte tires.

It is $280

Here's what I do. If I'm not sure what a bike is worth, I call or email the seller and ask "Where did you come up with this price?". Make the seller justify the price, that's his job. And simply saying it's clean and/or excellent is not enough. What is the price history of the item they are selling? If they can't answer the question, you have them in the palm of your hand.

One warning, the clever seller will say "I've seen these for sale for the same price or better", you're respond should be, "but what did they actually sell for?" Asking price and selling price are two different things.

Now. if you're the one selling and someone throws that line at you, I simply say, "have you seen any cheaper? if so, let me know where and I'll go buy one myself". Now they are putty in my hands.

Looking at that Centurion, it looks pretty nice to me. You don't see too many like that around. Perhaps $200? Who really knows, the market is fickle right now.