View Single Post
Old 03-22-20, 05:59 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
It’s cool that you had stickers made up, but I think it was unnecessary.

In 2017 I had a work emergency pop up in Syracuse while I was riding from Providence to Lake George. I’d already used Amtrak once with bike for going to Co, so it seemed easy. Bought tickets online, paid the bike fee. Easy.

In Worcester I think (west of Busta Rhymes Island, I can tell you that) I found that the train was down and had to ride bus to Albany.

My 62cm Bridgestone and Burly flatbed had to become one package under 50lbs for the bus. The fork stayed on and I crossed my fingers. Please’s, thankyou’s, Sir’s, and Ma’am’s helped that package lose ten lbs for the bus.

In Albany, I had to very quickly re-assemble the bike and stash the trailer wheels in a reusable grocery bag as a carryon and check the trailer with my main bags strapped as they’d’ve been while rolling.

Is that just a garbage bag or bag or some expensive cycling-specific bag? Looks perfect for what your plan was, as well as for me (or anyone) wanting to try/buy a bike off of CL in a city far enough out that the train is the best solution, but the specific train isn’t equipped for taking whole bikes.