Old 07-21-20, 01:33 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
16.5 last week. Saturday and Sunday were in the 90's but I was able to do back to back 5hr rides without much issue.

Question - I am bad at making sure I am fresh enough coming in to races and efforts. What signs do y'all look for coming into a goal - whether it be a hill climb, mass start race, itt, etc. What sort of sensations do you look for in your legs, general body feeling? How do you balance that against making sure you're not losing fitness?
I look to be fully rested and fully primed, which kind of seems counterintuitive to a point, but isn't really that difficult. Being overrested and flat is absolutely horrendous mentally as you just physically feel like **** and question and second guess everything, even if your performance isn't all that bad.

But generally if I start pulling back overall volume back two to three weeks out and then hit it hard but with reduced volume in the week before, I'll feel really good. I always ensure I'm riding in the days leading up a race (rest days before a race do me in). Before PM races I'll also ride the morning with an effort or two (or even a short KOM). Not enough to take much out of you, but enough to keep muscle tension and blood plasma volume and whatever other physiological issues working as needed.

As mentioned, losing fitness is never really an issue provided you're not trying some 4-6 week taper or something.
Likes For rubiksoval: