View Single Post
Old 03-05-10, 10:18 PM
toolbear

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS trike, Specialized FSRxc Expert, Swissbike LX folding hardtail, Dahon Speed 7 folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HarryStoddard
Instead of spraying some animal in the face with chemicals why not spritz yourself with the urine of a really big bear? Nothing will go near you. Nothing.
@@@

Animals use and respond to scent markers. We provide some. We have been using a similar practice for years to mark out our campsites as OURS. Never had a problem, even in bear country - and the van is really like a Whitman Sampler for bears. They like everything we carry. Need a bear box the size of a garage. If they have bear boxes, then they really have a bear problem and we throw the food totes in them.

I've got a potpourri spray mounted in a Swiss fanny pack strapped to the right side of the tubes as a sorta saddlebag. It's in a mesh sleeve for easy access. A pair of trail bars are in the rear sleeve for easy access. My binocs, maps, etc. are in the center compartment.

It's like a fire extinguisher. Have one, go for years with no need. Don't have one? Stand by... It's a good luck charm, rather like my Kimber .45.