View Single Post
Old 06-05-19, 01:41 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
First things first. Government also funds mass transit and roads. They do so with taxes and borrowed money. It doesn’t have to be a giant conspiracy it can be as simple as best practices to make a life for the public better. No one is walking 1000s of miles to get to a car free life in Venezuela are they. Are masses of people trying to immigrate to Africa?
So your point is that I'm right but people don't care enough to leave the country to protest? Ok, I'll give you that.

Are you disputing the progression from being poor to being more successful? Are you disputing the idea that your neighbors do not feel they are being paid too much for their work?
I am just pointing out that the system is biased against transportation reform because reforms are funded at levels that pay for everyone involved to buy cars and drive.

No, I'm not disputing progress toward being more successful because why else would I advocate progress toward more efficient land- and resource- use. You always accuse me of advocating lower standards of living, but I just don't see riding a bike and/or using transit as a lower standard of living just because it costs less and generates less GDP growth.

No I suggest that most people even a preponderance if people are as aware as I am and can choose for themselves what they prefer to use to get to work. I don’t assume I know better or have clearer vision as to what makes others happy. But I do know from experience that given the choice people would rather make a wage that includes enough for their wants and something left over for their children.
All you do when you say this kind of thing is propagate the automotive scam further.

Maybe society has decided it is a price worth paying and that is what matters.
No, I don't think most people are aware of how it works, or they would be against it. They have been tricked into believing it is a natural result of a free market that everyone drives, when that is really not the case. The problem, however, is that most people aren't willing to stand up to a large-scale lie because it scares them that it has progressed so far that they aren't willing to advocating changing it. That doesn't mean that they can embrace it knowing it's a lie and a scam, though. That's why people accept those, like you, who would white-wash it and make it easier for them to not question. Many people will accept a lie and a scam rather than question it, but because it makes them feel uncomfortable to be aware of it as such, they will also accept propaganda denying that there's a lie in it.