Old 06-10-19, 11:29 AM
NeoY2k

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Overly harsh new bike

Hi,

As my Alloy w carbon fork "Randonneur" Cyfac (Audax bike) w 25mm GP4K tires was way too flexy for loaded touring (to the point of being pretty dangerous actually), I built myself up a new bike - keeping the road bike for unloaded or lightly loaded riding.

So I built a bike based on an alloy Kona Dr Dew 2007 frame I had lying around, paired with the 2012 (I think) Dew Deluxe alloy fork (Kona P2 Hybrid alloy 700c), for a setup very similar to a Kona Rove, or Kona Dew Drop of old. Which all are pretty much the same bike, at least it seemed to me. I am running 32mm Conti GP 5000s.

Sure, it solved the flexiness problems: no more speed wobbles, feels very safe riding loaded.

However, this bike is the harshest thing I have ever ridden. Every chip in the pavement seems to want to destroy my wrists and elbows. Riding the bike loaded with its 4 panniers, it yields some give and gets somewhat less painful. I spent about a week on the road with it, was happy to have carbon bars, staying in the drops provided some suspension and some relief, still, I can't see myself for weeks on end on this bike.

I am puzzled as I always considered that frame and fork compliance were distant seconds to tire width and can't find why it is so brutal. Kona Roves I briefly tried didn't seem any special and they should pretty much be the same bike.

What could be the causes for this problem?

I might consider larger tires, but as 32mm are harsh... GravelKings 40s or Vittoria Voyager Hypers 40s might be larger, but only to some extent, and Conti GP 5K are pretty supple tires, so I doubt there's much more to harness from this way...

I might consider a Redshift suspension stem, but it seems a bit gimmicky... and expensive.

I might consider changing the fork, but 410mm disc forks with rack eyelets aren't common (surlys are 390mm). To my knowledge, this bikes wants 410mm forks, but I might be wrong, anyone having more infos on this frame?

Thanks,

Nicolas (Puzzled)

Last edited by NeoY2k; 06-10-19 at 11:42 AM.