View Single Post
Old 06-12-19, 05:12 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Knees are tricky and they are all different. In fact, my right is different from the left. While the left one is trouble free, the right one complains from time to time. Some years ago I played tennis regularly; a one hour lesson weekly with the club pro, tournament play Saturday and Sundays one or twice a month and league play twice a week. Our club had clay courts but some clubs had hard courts. Eventually, hard courts brought on discomfort but clay courts did not.

These days I no longer play tennis and but occasionally experience discomfort in that cranky right knee. Not often but when I do, leg extensions with 10 pounds of ankle weights works to strengthen the muscles just above the knee. The quads are also strengthened but the ones that stabilize the knee are the ones I'm after. I also stretch a lot to maintain mobility.

My right knee also used to flop to the inside brushing the top tube ow and then. I added a one and one half degree shim under the cleat on that side and built up additional support under the arch of foot beds that already had good arch support. I spent some time early in my cycling getting used to a higher cadence pedal stroke by shifting to a lower gear and pedaling furiously while maintaining speed and then shifting down again. Do this often enough and when you shift back to a normal gear it is clear how slowly you have been pedaling. I still need to do this but not as often.

So over time I've learned to deal with my own issues and in time you will also, whatever your issues may be.