Old 06-15-19, 07:32 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Trade all your bikes to help a sick puppy
Originally Posted by Machka
I get the impression that when some people in some threads on these forums say something is an extravagant luxury that they are saying it with a negative connotation ... and that impression is reinforced when the extravagant luxury is put up against helping sick puppies. Almost as if owning an extravagant luxury is bad but helping sick puppies is good.

Personally I think extravagant luxury has a positive connotation. It's a good thing. We all need at least one extravagant luxury in our lives and I don't object to whatever people choose to buy or do ... as long as it falls within the law, of course.

I also think that what one person thinks of as an extravagant luxury, another person may consider quite run-of-the mill ... "normal" if you will. Different perspectives.

It all makes a thread like this rather silly ... don't you think?
Originally Posted by livedarklions
It's the umpteenth "you're a snob" vs. "you're a slob" debate.

They're all stupid threads that should be closed immediately.
[post # 3 on this thread]...TBH, I don't know which is more obnoxious signalling--the grandstanding virtue signaller, or your need to let us know how rich your neighborhood is, which seems to be the real point of your op.

I don't care whether or not you have a $10,000 bike, but pretending it's "ordinary" to do so in your circles is a bit over the top on the status-seeking bit.
And apropos of Bike Forums, such moral / psychological discussions always start with the cost of a bicycle.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I’ve participated in several popcorn threads on BF about the value (link) of “expensive” bikes (I have one), and my last word is "At least I have no buyer's remorse about what I may be missing."
BTW, myself and 19 other subscribers LIKED this post to a recent, similar now-closed thread, “Bicycles have gotten insanely expensive."
Stop starting stupid threads.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
…BTW...This [current] thread seems like a device to continue this thread that was locked last week:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...expensive.html

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-15-19 at 09:27 AM. Reason: added BTW