View Single Post
Old 12-11-18, 01:18 PM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The monotone graphics are indicative of 1986-1987. The earliest evidence I have for the brand dates to 1986 and I went back and checked old advertisements to confirm that the graphics changed for 1988. Unfortunately, there were no examples specific to the Whistler, though it was mentioned in a 1986 advertisement.

Regarding components, the crankset looks era appropriate. The Shimano Z-series front derailluer was available during 1986-1987 and the rear Light Action derailleur appears to be a verison introduced in 1987. However, the derailleur appears to SIS compatible while the shift levers appear to be friction, so the rear derailleur may be a replacement. The brakes appear to be later Exage models and may not be OEM. I'd focus on the front derailleur and crankarms for date codes that may provide a clue to narrow down the model year.
Your posting is the first mention I have seen regarding the Whistler model, which seems to me to be very nice ride. I have many touring bikes from the the 1970s and 1980s (mostly of Japanese manufacture) and this is one of my favourites.

The only components that I have replaced are the shift levers, which WERE 6 speed SIS and now ARE 7 speed SIS, along with changes to the rear freewheel and chain. These were replaced because the plastic teeth that engage them with the frame disintegrated and they ceased to function. I will look at the crankarms and FD to see what they reveal. I assume that the serial number FN6xxxx, since it does not follow one of the patterns in your guide is not helpful (other than the possibility that the "6" indicates 1986). Thanks again for all you do.

-Will

Last edited by Random Tandem; 12-11-18 at 02:25 PM. Reason: clarity