Old 12-29-20, 01:43 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I have an unnatural aversion to bolt on derailleur claws. While touring down Hwy 1 in California when I was 18, I had a couple of flats. Getting the wheel back in with these things is difficult - they seemed to always want to rotate and stop the hub from going in. In addition, I couldn't seem to get the quick release on the rear wheel tight enough so that the wheel wouldn't shift and rub against the chainstays when I'd stand up and pedal hard. Now when I see a decent bike frame without a derailleur hanger I think "braze one on", or relegate to IGH.

Another thing that I avoid is black anodized parts. Working in an LBS in the 80's the cycle of black anodizing was in. Unless you were very careful assembling the bike a small scratch would scream out at you - the metal is silver colored under that black anodization. To this day I avoid black anodized parts.

With regards to bikes, what bugs you more than it bugs most people?
Currently contemplating a build with black anodized parts. Your reason is why they still haven't been bought. Plus, I like glossy black, but detest matte black. I just can't get myself to do it, yet.