View Single Post
Old 01-17-21, 11:09 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
@Road Fan

Agreed on the formulation, that being said, and I agree that as with many things you proceed at your own peril.

From my own process which is using an alternative very sparingly that has so far proven out, the Langlitz dressing has had great results across the board, old, really old, used and very used, new and almost new have done just fine so far and I also contend that it has sped up break-in as well, again with no ill effects or sagging so far. Some of them are 7, 8, 9 years along so I am convinced that they will be fine.
As far as Langlitz, Limmer, or Ideale, I have no idea. There are quite a few products in this class of goods, and I really only need to know about a few that I can actually buy within my local area.

I agree, if they still are fine they will most likely go on for a while. My best Brooksies from the past have been lost in silly selling and theft in a few cases, but I have a decent set of saddles now.

The idea of proceeding at your own peril seems to be built in at Brooks, as well, since they always recommend using their dressing sparingly. So slathering on a Brooks is proceeding on one's own peril, as you say. My own metrics are: the saddle needs oil more than it needs silicone, I don't want it too smelly, and I'd rather depend on a shower cap and fenders for heavy rain protection, than on saddle goop that goes beyond the thin coating level. So, Snowseal has too much of a chemical smell, old Proofide (I think this is age rather than composition) can smell rancid, Feibing's Snow-Proof Weatherproofing has some mink oil but feels and smells good, and while Obenauf's is suggested for some measure of water proofing, it feels and looks good on some objects I've applied it to. I've been Proofiding toe straps for years, and have used Obe. on them this year. We'll see, as you say!

Last edited by Road Fan; 01-18-21 at 09:27 AM. Reason: It's Limmer, not Lipper!
Likes For Road Fan: