JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by Jordanmilo
The Paco has a stack height of 50mm; that is, the steering tube is 160mm, and the head tube is 110mm. And there is only 1 inch of thread on the steering tube.

So 50mm is the absolute tallest headset I can use, correct? I've been thinking about Velo-Orange's sealed bearing headset, which is 41mm (I guess I'm not allowed to post a link, since I'm a newbie, but it's on Velo-Orange's website). Can I assume because the threading on the steering tube is so short that I'll need some spacers as well?
That the steer tube is 50mm longer than the head tube is likely to be a problem, especially if there is only an inch (~25mm) of thread. I suspect that you'll run out of thread well before the threaded cup comes close to being in adjustment. At a minimum, you'll probably need to extend the threads further down the steer tube. And then either trim the steer tube (I'm not aware of any threaded headsets with 50mm stack; 44mm is about as tall as I've encountered) or use spacers between the threaded cup and the locknut.

I'm thinking that this probably isn't the original fork for that frame. Is it?