Old 01-21-21, 11:31 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Where I'm at in the '83 Centurion TA?
Well, after RTs ban I felt the wind was let out of my sails and just had the frame sitting in the stand.
I'm finally slowly getting over it and starting the build.
So the build, a beautiful red color, and small 52cm frame. I comfortably ride a 54cm and my favorite Ironman road bike is a 52cm, so it'll work.
I initially thought I'd use a full tri color 7 speed group. However the HS that R.T. sent with it was the Shimano 600 and it's silver looking and not the gray looking that comes on the Shimano tricolor 600. And I like the way the silver looked on there against that nice red.
Remembering the parts I pulled from my '85 Ironman had most of the original 600 parts I decided to go with those 600 parts instead.
Two issues I'm having is, although I have the original '85 brake levers I don't have the original calipers. I may be forced to use the tri color Brakeset if I can't find some . Also, I'm using the '85 Ironmans down tube shifters which fit perfectly on the Shimano type A shifter boss But I don't have any 4.5mm screws. If I can't source them, I'll go therccardr route and dremel to fit and tap to 5mm, and go to full Shimano tricolor group. The simplest fix is to get some 4.5 screws.
One last thing, if someone has a '85 Ironman, can you post a Close-up pic of the OEM rear derailleur shot from behind. Alrighty then Ironkids, hang in there.