Old 01-26-21, 12:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've held onto the heavy comfort hybrid I resumed cycling with in 2015 as a loaner.

But last year I got tired of it taking up space in my spare bedroom. A neighbor who has little or no money had an old mountain bike that was falling apart, shifters not functioning, brakes barely working, tires crumbling. So I gave that comfort hybrid to him. It was in much better shape with everything functional, good heavy duty puncture resistant tires, and a sturdy rear rack for errands, decent head and tail lights.

A few weeks later I discovered the bike -- well, most of it -- abandoned behind the dumpster, minus the seat post, saddle, rear rack and lights. He kept the rear rack and lights, and apparently the saddle. I found the seat post dumped a few days later.

Odd experience. I thought if he didn't like the bike -- too heavy, wrong size, color, whatever -- he could just say "Can I just keep the rack and accessories? The bike isn't quite right for me." That would have been okay with me. The guy is a little odd, like... hard to say, not brain damaged or mentally ill, but a bit... off, somehow. Anyway, I suppose it worked out okay. I've seen him riding his old bike, with the rear rack at a weird angle because he didn't adjust the support struts to match his frame geometry. I thought about offering to straighten it, but... nah. It's a reminder of why it can be so difficult to help some folks who need it, but don't want it or know how to cope with anything complicated.

Anyway, I have that bike as a loaner... again. Minus the rack and lights. I put another saddle on it, which is more comfortable than the original anyway. A couple of friends lead a casual ride group a couple of times a week, so I might see if they have space in their garage for this bike as a loaner, since new folks join once in awhile. But they usually rent a city bike, which rides pretty similarly.