View Single Post
Old 09-07-20, 12:22 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
After serving over 20 years in the military staying clean in the "field" isn't that difficult. All the common ways, soap & water, wet wipes, washcloths, etc. What difficult is staying clean and actually enjoying the process, not just the results. It all depends on how much gear (weight) you are willing to dedicate to the process. With a small amount of warm water and a washcloth, I can comfortably get clean enough after a day's ride to be comfy while sleeping. With some time and plenty of water, I get out the Nemo Helio Pressure Shower. Hang a thermal water bag and let it get warm'ish, heat water over a fire, or with a 12V glow-plug, or use a Shower Coil to get it nice and hot before putting it in the Helio. What makes my week is being able to shower, really shower, and wash my hair and then sit and watch the "Mother Nature" channel. I try to also use it to wash my bike and gear as the water is heating up for me... the Helio makes that so much easier. Using disposable personal hygiene products is my last resort, and always use bio-friendly soaps and solvents. Antimicrobial base layers and deodorant help quite a bit. I also keep my shower kit very accessible so I can pull it out and wash-up whenever a bathroom presents itself. Last year I bought a pump spray nozzle attachment for a water bottle that I have been using year around now. It puts out a fine mist to a 8 or 10' stream. Great for washing sweat off my face any time I want, washing sand and mud out of the drivetrain, surprising pursuing canine, spritzing my hair so I don't scare people, and for drinking while on the bike. Staying clean isn't all that hard if it's a priority.
Likes For BBassett: