View Single Post
Old 09-12-19, 05:05 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I was riding from Toronto Canada to Barrie Canada one time a long time ago. I moved onto the unpaved shoulder to let a bunch of semis go by. I had a wire similar to yours go right through my rear wheel from the left side to the right side. The wire then struck the seatstays but didn't bend. It tore holes about 4 inches long in either side of the tire and tube. Fortunately it wasn't too far a walk to a Canadian Tire store where I was able to buy a new tube and rear tire.

Cheers
A couple of years ago I had a three-inch nail go through the rear sidewall on my main commuter. It contacted both rear fender supports pulling the fender inward and snapping it jamming the jagged edge into the rear tire, freezing the rear wheel. This was just a half-mile from the office. Earlier in the ride a shifter cable had snapped.

By the way, yesterday's puncture is only the second time in 12 years that an foreign object actually pierced the tire liners (Mr. Tuffys). All other punctures came through the sidewall.

I will go months without any problems or drama and then...bam, bam, bam!