Old 03-13-20, 11:05 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Adis
Is it possible? I might change the fork and wheel with disc brake screw holes.
Yes, you can. Is it worth it? Probably not. There’s the cost of the fork, the cost of the caliper, the cost of the rotor and the cost of the wheel. Except for the rotor, I’d put it around $50 for each one of those, although the fork could go as high as $150 itself. The rotor is going to be about $25. Just for the parts, you are looking at $175 to around $300.

You’ll also need the tools changing the fork. An Allen wrench, a hacksaw and guide, something to set the starnut if it’s threadless, a T25 torqx for the rotor bolts (Allens can be used) It’s hard to estimate but around $50 to $100. If you don’t want to do the work yourself, expect about 1.5 to 3 hours at $75 per hour.

So the question to ask is your “need” for disc brakes worth the cost? I don’t know what brakes you currently have are but there are good v-brakes and bad ones. Good ones are every bit as good as good discs and bad ones are every bit as bad as bad brakes. Avid Single Digits are good ones. Shimano Deore and higher are good ones. Paul Motolites are excellent ones, but they are expensive...less expensive than doing the conversion you are proposing, however. And much less work to install.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: