Old 03-29-20, 08:31 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Cvalentine
I am a newbie when it comes to classic or vintage bikes. I have a question I wanted some feedback on. Last spring I bought a 1975 peugot px10. I absolutely love riding this bike. Comfortable , sized just right, and it has that look that I really like. The only problem is I had multiple (6?) flats last year that required me to purchase new tubes for the tires. Not very expensive but a hassle to deal with for sure. I was wondering if I could buy modern rims and tires without ruining the look of the bike? I'm not sure if that is done or even possible. I've considered replacing some of components, one at a time to upgrade the performance without losing that classic look. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.
As others have pointed out that new wheels won't help with flats unless you are running the original stock tubulars. If you are, then clinchers are a lot easier to deal with if you have flats.

Your bike is set at 120mm OLD; it takes 5 on the back. Modern road wheels are set at 130 and then you have to spread the frame to accommodate them. That can be done.

Alternatively you could get 126 mm wheels and run a 6 or 7 speed freewheel. These wheels from velo mine are priced right at $119 a pair and would look good on a vintage bike like your Peugeot:

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...ocdnr4ng5htm45
Likes For bikemig: