View Single Post
Old 02-06-19, 03:53 AM
RicePudding

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR GX 1 (2018), Giant Talon 2 (2010, RIP)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
I've crossed off a lot of alternatives to the giant tough road:

Trek Checkpoint: Isospeed bothers some riders

Specialized Diverge: the omission of rack mounts is perplexing. I can workaround it, but there's no penalty for including them, so why not? Future Shock is probably great, but it's $600 more although this moves you up to 105 and future shock. Add at least another $500 for suspension seat post and hydraulic brakes.

Canyon Grail: innovative but way too expensive ($3K)

Cannondale: I'm in between sizes....

...etc.

I'm pretty sure I'll like the specialized geometry but I'm hoping I really like how the Giant rides. To get the specialized configured the way I want is double the price (hydraulic brakes, suspension seat post, new brifters).
I haven't really looked into the Checkpoint so I can't comment on the isospeed technology.

The Specialzed Diverge is pretty univerversally acclaimed as an excellent gravel bike and many would choose this. I did look into this before my TR GX but like you pointed out, you pay quite a premium for it to be inline with the Giant.

There are a few little quirks that make the Diverge better than the TR GX. It uses thru axles rather than QRs. Full internal cable routing, racier CX geometry. But one of my main gripes was the mechanical disc brakes and I really like the carbon seat post and a few of the other little perks of the TR GX like the integrated handlebar mounts.

Also, I have seen some criticism about the future shock system. I have not had direct experience with it but I know some don't think its all that great.

The Canyon Grail looks like an amazing bike, it's very original with the "double decker" bar which I'm sure will add a ton on compliance but that's only on the higher end spec'ed bikes. One of the things that I find a bit annoying about these is that they opted to use press fit bottom brackets on Aluminium frames which just seems a bit silly, I understand the need to use them on carbon but I'd always prefer threaded on a metal frame. And yes, they are a fair bit more expensive but if you have the money, the Grail looks excellent.

The Cannondale dilemma is annoying, I'm like that with most of the Giant bikes, hence needing a M/L, they don't offer this size for all of their bikes though. I'd be careful if you go for the Cannondale as you want to make sure your fit is right or you might wish you went for the other size post purchase.