Old 08-07-19, 09:55 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Just to be clear, my routine every 100 miles or so was:
  • Drop rear wheel, clean that separately with brush dipped in degreaser, only apply to cassette, avoiding hub and bearings, rinse thoroughly with water several times, air dry separately.
  • Clean chain with PT chain cleaner and degreaser, 30 pedals (or more), then use brush with degreaser to clean front chainrings and derailleur cogs.
  • Refill chain cleaner with mild soapy water (clean out tool, including brushes and sponge), 30 pedals (or more). Use rag dipped in water to clean front chainrings and derailleur cogs.
  • Clean out tool again, refill with clean water, 30 pedals. Empty, clean, refill with more clean water, 30 pedals. Water's usually clean by this point. Light water bottle spray on chainrings and rear derailleur. Wipe all with clean cloth.
  • Let all air dry.
  • Reapply lube (used to be dry, now will be wet--or ceramic) one link at a time, starting at master link, right on the pivot points.
  • Wipe chain dry of excess lube
  • Reattach rear wheel; let sit overnight
I hadn't had 50 miles before that noise started. It might also have to do with the new HG901-11 chain I had the LBS put on recently, vs. the 701 it came with (and my Trek FXS6 has 601 and has stayed relatively quiet with dry lube).

Since the 901-11 has a Shimano 901 has a quick link, I may think about running the 2-3 chain strategy. I did see that one video from Australia or NZ where someone was using an ultrasonic cleaner on his chains.