Old 07-03-19, 07:54 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarBob
For me, yes. Some of my tubes have 4 or 5 patches and they still work perfectly.

I live and ride in the land of thorns, so I flat all too regularly. I collect the tubes and patch them in a batch when I have about 10.
After patching, I fill them up with air, and if they are still holding air in the morning, they get stashed for later use -- the ones that fail (maybe 5-10%) get binned. I've never had a good patch fail -- and it's pretty easy to tell if you got a good bond.

Plus it's pretty satisfying work.
Yep. If for whatever reason the patch won't plug the hole I don't bother further - one good faith effort is what it gets. I usually ditch after 3-5 patches as well, not so much for weight but the feeling that at some point the patch may fail. Or that the tube is just that old.

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Do you guys leave the cellophane on the outside of the patch or remove it before installation?
After installation, and usually well after the glue had cured. I.e., after leaving it inflated overnight and when I check in the morning. Too often peeling the celophane tends to pull up the edges of the patch.