View Single Post
Old 09-08-19, 02:01 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
I've used mechanical disc brakes, hydraulic disc brakes, and the TRP hybrid.

Just for braking (i.e. brake power, ease of application, and modulation) IMHO hydraulic is the hands down winner, and absent other issues (frame compatibility, brifter comaptibility, cost) I would absolutely go with hyraulic.

The two mechanical set ups we've used (bengal, and shimano) the braking power is just not acceptable.

The TRP hybrids are a nice answer if you need to use cable actuated levers, for some other reason. The TRP hybrids offer good stopping power. but they still require more effort and do not modulate as easily as a pure hydraulic setup. They also can be a bit finicky on the cable setup to allow enough cable travel to avoid bottoming the brake lever before fully actuating the brake. This may be more of an issue depending on the particular brake levers. (and compressionless housing and a hack on how to route the cable to the brake can help with the issue.)

So IMHO, strong recommendation to spec hydraulic if you can, TRP Hybrids if your setup does not lend to full hydraulic, and just say no to fully cable actuated discs
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 09-08-19 at 02:08 PM.