View Single Post
Old 01-11-20, 05:56 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Aznman
'Huh?' right back at your Happy Feet and machka. As already as pointed out by the thread itself, many people do not know (or do not care) about taking down their 'bushcraft style' shelters once they are done, effectively blurring the lines of what is the 'right procedure' to those who are just starting out.

Frankly, it is more common sense to understand why I was asking hypotheticals in the first place and it is surprising that a few of you seem to require very basic explanations from me.
No need to get snippy. My Huh was directed to the notion that building shelters was highly considered not to be a good idea, as indicated by my bolding of that part of the quote. I would say that, from my experience, most people don't care if you build a shelter - just that you clean up afterward. Of course, state, national and private properties operate under their own agendas and it's a good idea to follow those rules.

Boy Scouts have been building bushcraft shelters for nearly a century now and no one gets their knickers in a twist over it.

The main reason people don't build bush shelters while bike touring is just time. You usually stay in one spot for a night or two, arrive in the later afternoon, and it's just easier to pitch a tent; especially if you do the right thing and tear the shelter down again in the morning before leaving. If you return time and again to a favorite spot you have the problem of others either vandalizing or occupying the shelter ahead of you, as indicated by your first post. Again, easier to use a tent.

Here, someone built a bushcraft bridge to ford a creek. No complaints so far. One of many structures on the mountain where I live.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-11-20 at 06:23 PM.
Likes For Happy Feet: