View Single Post
Old 01-11-20, 06:38 PM
Aznman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
No need to get snippy. My Huh was directed to the notion that building shelters was highly considered not to be a good idea, as indicated by my bolding of that part of the quote. I would say that, from my experience, most people don't care if you build a shelter - just that you clean up afterward. Of course, state, national and private properties operate under their own agendas and it's a good idea to follow those rules.

Boy Scouts have been building bushcraft shelters for nearly a century now and no one gets their knickers in a twist over it.

The main reason people don't build bush shelters while bike touring is just time. You usually stay in one spot for a night or two, arrive in the later afternoon, and it's just easier to pitch a tent; especially if you do the right thing and tear the shelter down again in the morning before leaving. If you return time and again to a favorite spot you have the problem of others either vandalizing or occupying the shelter ahead of you, as indicated by your first post. Again, easier to use a tent.

Here, someone built a bushcraft bridge to ford a creek. No complaints so far. One of many structures on the mountain where I live.

Apologies then for getting snippy too quickly. Thank you for this valuable post.