View Single Post
Old 12-06-20, 09:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
My 'real world' ride always begins with about 4 miles that I use to warm up. Takes maybe 15-20 minutes, loosens up the legs, etc, and honestly I don't even think about it as a warmup but that's exactly what it is. Often I'll be spinning along in the first mile or so thinking, "Oh, maybe the legs don't really have it today, they feel tight." but by about 4-5 miles they're loose, warm, and responsive.

I've come to realize I need to devote at least 15 minutes to warming up on Zwift. I tried a Ramp Test with just 5 minutes of Zone 2 pedalling and blew up well below the power levels I'd reached before. Did it again a week later but with 15 minutes of mostly Zone 2 with a sprint and a short climb thrown in, plus the 5 minute 'free ride' and did much, much better. Some people say the early part of the Ramp Test is warmup enough. Maybe for them. Not me.

So now I start EVERY Zwift session with at least a 15 minute warmup, and that's before whatever warmup is in any workout I do.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: