Thread: what is real
View Single Post
Old 12-21-20, 01:10 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Hey folks,
Glad you all came to the party.
I admit I need to post pictures. I will try to take close ups of al the details.
At the moment I am at the very final stage of the restoration. Everything is done except installing the front derailleur and the down tube levers. I spent hours today getting the crank and rear wheel to play nice. I had stretched the rear drop outs from 120 to 128 mm and had a nice set of Arya 700 c wheels with an 8 spd cassette that seemed to fit nicely with just a nudge of the stays . I couldn't adjust he Cyclone rear derailleur enough to go past the 6th cog with the 130 mm spacing so I swapped it another wheel with a 7 speed cassette. That fit better. Then I installed the Sugino GT crank and it was way too far out from the bottom bracket cup. I dug into my stash of spindles and found a shorter one. That moved the crank in some but not enough. That is when I decided to add the third chainring . I had intended to use it as a double. with the inner ring installed the crank fit the frame and the chain line problem was solved. I hadn't thought about it but I guess double and triple cranks are different in their offset.

Anyway, I will take some pics tomorrow and post them. I have gotten all my info so far here https://classicfuji.posthaven.com/archive .