Old 02-04-21, 10:23 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
Magicshine makes one model (Alty 2000) with a removable battery pack. They used to sell a model with a removable "raw" 18650 cell, so you didn't need to buy a proprietary product from them. As far as I know, this is the only self-contained light with a swappable battery pack. There are a lot of bikes with separate battery packs where you could obviously swap packs. There are some lights that can operate while hooked up to an external USB battery pack, but this isn't well-documented. Not all do.

300 lumen doesn't sound like enough to me, but in any case, lumen is a rough stand-in for the more relevant metric, which is how far your light throws its beam, and whether you'll outrun that at your typical speed. Some beams are more diffuse, some more focused. I'm guessing that for riding through a forest, you'd want a little more diffusion than on the road.

Yeah. I don’t think 300 would be ideal. The cateye volt I have is a volt 700. I could carry 2 extra batteries and I could run at max 700 lumens and that would get me to 6 hours. And I could lower the mode as i got close to dawn. That could work. Maybe. Or I could carry lezyne 1500xxl. Run that at 1000 lumens until it dies. ~2.5 hours unless I switch to 600 lumens when it starts running low. Then switch to cateye volt 700 running at max and have the extra battery.