View Single Post
Old 08-17-15, 04:45 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by L0NE_W0LF
How do you guys do it? Do you buy maps of each region you go to?
It depends on the tour. I use Adventure Cycling maps when they have a route that goes where I want to go.

Are there bike specific maps that I can buy?
There are the AC maps I already mentioned, There are also state bicycle maps from the Department of Transportation for many states. The latter are generally free. I also usually pick up a regular state road map as I enter a state, they are often free if there is a visitor center.

How do you find places to camp, eat, ect. when you are in unfamiliar territory?
It gets easy with practice, but using an AC is a good start in the beginning because they usually list a lot of free places to camp. It helps to choose a well established route. On the west coast cheap hiker biker sites are common in state parks. In the middle of the country you can typically just pitch a tent for the night in just about any very small rural town's picnic area. In the east it is tougher unless you like to stealth camp or are willing to spend a good bit for $$$ camping. Staying with hosts is nice when it works out. Warmshowers.org is one way to manage that, but I usually only stay with hosts who I am invited by after chance encounters.