View Single Post
Old 06-23-18, 09:53 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
John and John, Thanks, good eye, and yes, I think John Gialanella's Continental could have left the factory in the same truck as mine (another early 8/62 example).

And good call, Metacortex. I did indeed add the Huret wingnuts myself, and it is the most commented-on feature of the bike on the spirited rides that I do with the local foothills club here.

The bike turned up at the local Goodwill thrift store, marked @$100. I waited another day and finally sprung for it after realizing it's total originality (also came with a tubular German-made cargo rack, generator lights and hub shiners). This was my first of many electroforged acquisitions, after decades of riding mostly lugged steel.

I was wondering when someone might ask where the heck did I get clipless 1/2" pedals from, they are out there but were only produced for a very short time as the one-piece cranks apparently left the high-end BMX scene just as clipless BMX pedals came into vogue.
The VDO wind-up clock on the stem bolt was another addition, it is dated 1962 and so I took it out of it's NOS box for this bike. It was described as missing parts, I guessed that the seller thought that the wind-up knob was a connector for wire gone missing(?). A continental (European) collector of such things offered me about a hundred bucks for it.

Last edited by dddd; 06-23-18 at 10:07 AM.