SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
My bike has an old Bendix hub. It modulates just fine, but doesn't have terrific stopping power. @SquidPuppet has reported that the Shimano CB-E110 is a superior hub. Also, I would not ride a bike without both front and rear brakes, unless it was just for tooling around on bike paths at low speed. My bike has a conventional hand brake in front.
Yeah, I was going to comment on that yesterday but I didn't want to come across like I was trying to start something. The Shimano CB-E110s that I own work perfectly. By perfectly I mean, if they had some type of adjustment device built in that allowed you to tune the modulation characteristics and overall power, I would leave it as is. They provide gobs of feedback for sensitive braking situations and beyond that a good little push will lock the wheel right up. I can't think of any way that their performance is lacking. They are also dead silent when pedaling, coasting, and braking. What more does one need?

Yeah, a front brake is wise, since they are almost three times more effective than a rear brake.