Old 09-13-19, 10:36 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
What size tires will you be using? A larger tire at lower pressure would likely provide extra shock protection for the entire wheel, including the spokes.

Also, a well-built wheel with properly-tensioned spokes is good protection. Spokes can break because the spoke tension is too high - but a more likely scenario IMO is that the spoke is tensioned too low and may even reach a state of compression as the wheel rotates thereby fatiguing the spoke to the point of failure.

I wouldn't shy away from properly-built 28 spoke wheels as long as I could repair them myself on the road.
700x38 slick GK or Teravail Rampart. Depends on how much gravel I want to hit across IN/ IL.

It might just become a fast ride, which is less gravel which leads me to the Slicks. 1200 miles max unless I cut it short. so 800 ish on the short side. Which if it becomes a fast ride that means the Tent stays home and it just becomes a bivy/hammock ride. Midwest ride. so plenty of water/food available. I am leaving it open ended

had a time window available. So I thought why not ride to the Katy trail, but ride to it also.

my number 1wheel choice would be Cantu 28 spoke asymmetrical straight pull spoke wheels (rebel or rova). however the Allroads are 1/2 that price and have the solid rim bed.

with cantu the balance scale tip towards the hooked rebel. as that allows for running a 700x35 bon Jon in future. I don;t think I want to run any compass tire on hookless wheels.

the only hang up with the allroads is being 20/24