Old 02-26-20, 11:56 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
I've a '19 Chisel Comp so can tell you my impressions.

It replaced an'04 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp, FS bike, 26", 3x9 as well as very old steel HT. I wanted an HT as they are lighter and tend to be more responsive to pedal input - I saved 4 lbs as BTW over the Stumpjumper and I notice it. I tend to ride flat single track with many short up and downs. The fork is entry level and while there might be stiffer and lighter forks, the next level or two up on a swap is near $600 and no real savings in weight. As well I've found no handling issues with the Judy Gold so will stick with it. I'm a clyde and having ridden the bike for a year and ridden hard I've not killed the wheels, so they seemingly are robust and will not swap those either until I kill one.

I'm an instant convert to 1X as it works very well (it's 11 spd. 11-46). For the riding I do it's a great system to no longer need to plan ahead and shift F & R. This matters as the gearing is pretty perfect for my conditions. I only occasionally miss a tighter cluster, but would not give up 1X. On the other hand I have a gravel bike and would not want 1X on that and prefer the 2X gearing, mostly as I'm not riding a lot of closely paced up/downs. SLX is a great group as BTW, the dirt version of 105 and is a really good group at a good price.

The 29" wheels are all everybody says, they roll over stuff better and they are faster so am glad I didn't go 27.5".

The Chisel is a terrific climbing bike, best I've ridden and is likely a result of Specialized dialing it in with modern geometry, as well as accelerates really quick. Not a stiff frame but I don't notice any flex either as I've read in reviews. Thus I'm very happy with what Specialized has done with this bike. Only mod. I made was to trim the h-bar down to 700mm from 750 as our riding has a lot of tree gates that wide bars have issues with. And I put a 180 front rotor on it.

It lists for $1760 US which is about $1600 Euro's.