Old 12-03-20, 10:10 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I have a 15-year-old Cycle-Ops fluid trainer I bought on Craigslist 10 years ago for $80. I have a 20+ year-old window fan to cool me. Closest to fancy I get is listening to mp3s from my phone to my Bose (a gift) wireless headphones. I like The Clash.

Truly uninspiring.
I don't think I want a cycling opera in front of me as I pedal in the basement.

About as imaginative as I am is to pedal 30 minutes at say 80% of LT, then maybe 5 to 8 minutes at the edge of aerobic, then to cool down to "normal ... " I don't think I want to model my regular rides and simulate them, except perhaps "The Hills of Ann Arbor," that is pretty challenging! May be to run your Coppi route virtually, since I was unable to attend a few years ago?

I bought a Cycle-Ops new about 15 years ago, and was agravated over the noise. I used it and had some decent Spring "debut" rides. but the noise got eo me and especially to Mrs. Road Fan, so I bought a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, which was a lot smoother and more quiet. Again used it a few years, but I wanted it electrified. This desore lead to a Wahoo Elemnt and a Kickr Snap. Finally the apps are making this contraption easy to reasonably control, so I'm getting to the point where I can mimic the behavior of the Cycle Ops. (sheesh!!!, I'm an engineer I should be better at this!!). Now the Elemnt apps are improving to the point where perhaps I can graduate from "pedal at 90 rpm for 35 minutes then cool down" to more of a programmed pedaling existence. We'll see. The Elemnt is ok as a road tool, but I'd like to better integrate Navi - maybe a Roam is in my future.

I find myself wanting a Cateye Astrale 8 but with enhanced functionality. I liked that little cyclocomputer quite a bit.