View Single Post
Old 02-17-20, 03:17 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbs1951
Interesting thread guys, motivates me to lavish some attention on my 1966 Superbe, bought from the widow of the original owner; a lecturer at the University of Hull during Phillip Larkin's time. He rode it to the university everyday during summer months. Completely original with some paint loss but little or no rust. Green Brooks mattress saddle, green saddle bag and - rare - green Raleigh branded pump, four speed Sturmey Archer...I clicked my Sturmey Archer gear and pedalled'til I nearly burst...dynamo, huge Raleigh branded bell, period mileometer, tools, handbook and event the steering lock key. Headlamp reflector needs re-silvering and new tyres (amberwalls ?), tubes and brake blocks re needed - pedals are shot, but readily available.
Ah, another man of culture. I have two of this myself, never been lucky enough to find one with the FSU though. Annoyingly the chaincase on the more original bike split open and warped, so it rubs the chain and makes an annoying noise. Maybe I'll bring it out of storage this summer, and see what I can do. The other is from just before they went cotterless and was a wreck, half the parts are from india now but I ride it everyday.