Old 04-21-14, 07:53 AM
1speeder

Bikes: 2017 BMC Road Machine, 2014 Niner Air 9, 2022 Niner RLT, 2020 Niner Jet 9, 1993 Santana Rio, 1996 Santana Sovereign, 1996 Santana Picante,2005 Santana Team Scandium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bres dad
This has been on hold as I've had some vehicle repairs to make. I found a NOS Schwinn Super Sport DBX I was able to trade out some stuff and a little bit of cash. I will be tweaking it for awhile but so far me likey. I think I like the Jamis a little better but this specs our very nicely:

9 speed 105 RD (Tiagra FD & STI's)
Avid BB7 discs
Jagwire cables & housing
carbon fiber fork
carbon fiber seatpost

One issue I've found is there is some shaking in the front end when the front brake is applied. I've checked that the headset & front wheel are tight but at certain speeds the front end shakes as it stops. The Jamis did this too but not as bad. LBS looked at the bike, tweaked the brakes a little and improved it some but says that's probably as good as it will get.

Cool bike, the shaking you are referring too is most likely the fork shuddering. You can try to clean the brake rotor with automotive brake clean or denatured alcohol and a clean rag to remove any oils etc. Also I find that cleaning the brake pads may help, remove the pads and lightly sand them to remove any glazing. If you still have the shudder, then yes, it might be good as it gets.