Old 12-02-18, 08:20 PM
Bicycho415

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fronesis
It's not like it will cause any problems, but I'm pretty sure they did on your bike just what they did on mine: left the brake hoses at full length. (The derailleur cable and housing was fine.)

If you aren't comfortable adjusting a RD, then I do NOT recommend you try to shorten and re-bleed your brakes. It's not rocket science, but it is definitely more involved than adjusting a derailleur, and since you are dealing with toxic DOT 5.1 fluid, you don't have as much margin for error.

Attached are a couple of pics of my wife's bike, after I did the following:
  • Replaced the 6-bolt rotors with proper center-lock rotors (the wheels have center-lock hubs)
  • Replaced the defective SRAM brake retaining springs with the proper ones
  • Replaced the bars and stem with ones that dialed-in my wife's fit
  • Replaced the pedals and saddle
  • shortened the brake hoses and rebled the system

Beautiful work. I'm not sure what spring you speak of that was defective. Mine seems fine and it shifts perfectly. I love the TR stem headset on your wifes bike. Looks tough as nails. The hosing I can deal with as I have every tool known to man for working on bikes. But I have never done dot fluid or any hydraulic brake work at all. I absolutely hate derailleur work and am happy paying my LBS conveniently located on my block to do the work for me. The housing I agree is most likely at full length but having them cut and bled and filled again seems silly. I just bought the compass tires in 38mm extralight barlow pass. Can't wait to get these slicks on the road for the rain in San Francisco. It's so plush. Well. I haven't rolled on them yet but. I will and soon. Also going to go tubeless as well. DId you go tubeless?

Here's in interesting link on tire width and a beautiful insight in the importance of tire width. I agree with you that the frame could maybe fit a 40 or up to a 42 possibly. I did measure the tire that comes with the bike, the challenge tires. They measure in at 35mm width actually. So pushing a 44 might actually be doable but you wouldn't know until you tried. That's what my LBS said to me as well. 9mm isn't that much depending on how the tire is dispersed on the rim.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2013/...limeters-make/