Old 03-15-19, 08:48 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm looking at these LB wheels as well. I have rim brakes though, and am wondering if better off with the LB or the TSRs.. both (in my mind) are a gamble due to very little real long-term (or even short-term) review availability.
Specifically.. debating between these 2 products.. basically at the moment is a CF vs Alloy debate for me.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/U-shape...ompatible.html
vs
https://www.bike24.com/p2306399.html?q=tune+tsr
True, it is a question of carbon versus alloy rims, but also a question of going with a less common hub design from Tune themselves, rather than being able to choose for Bitex, Novatec, DT Swiss 350 or 240. These are much more known quantities, and you know what kind of hub quality you can expect. With limited reviews on the Tune wheels, the hub would concern me more than the rims. From a quick Google search, the Mig 170 and Mag 170 hubs are designed to be very light, but perhaps not as durable.

Also, making an alloy rim THAT light, at 35mm cross section, probably means it is not exactly what is referred to as "bomb proof". It would most likely require trueing the wheel more often if you ride on rough roads. Not sure. Kind of like the really light Kinlin 200 or 300 rims you can get on Prowheelbuilder and other custom building online stores: they are very light alloy rims, but are known to be a bit less durable than heavier versions. I think that is just the way it is: the lighter an alloy rim is, the less rigid it is.

The fact of the matter is, the Tune TSR 35 were released only in December of 2018, and it is a more niche brand, so it is logical that there would not be many / any reviews. Buying these wheels probably makes you a bit of a guinnea pig. Light Bicycle's rims have been around for longer than that.

I would trust German engineering more than Chinese engineering any day, but you cannot escape the fact that a lightweight alloy wheel is not going to be as "bullet proof" as a heavy alloy wheel. Like Others had said, it is probably a good wheelset for good weather and roads. A bit of a "race day" wheelset I guess?