View Single Post
Old 06-24-19, 11:01 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I agree a video camera is only as valuable as the desire to edit that video but the counter argument is that (for me) it expands the touring experience beyond the immediate.

Learning to edit and basic film making techniques is like another hobby that I can flex into my outdoor pursuits so I get a 2 for 1 effect. I enjoy the outdoor event and back home can relive it through working my other hobby (film making). It's just like drawing or painting.

I think it helps if one is also a natural story teller. I find camera or video to be a portal through which I view a adventure in a way that thinks; how can I show someone this? That doesn't diminish the experience from my POV as I am switched on to constantly observe my surroundings looking for a beautiful / interesting view or action sequence. As a soloist maybe this provides a meta companion with which to share the experience.

Unrelated to cycling, here's a 3:24 video of some salmon spawning. The thing about this video is that it was shot in a lake where many divers can't be bothered to go because it is considered boring. Through videos like this shown at my local dive club I was able to generate more interest in it and get support for a fish study I conducted there.

Technically, the water is murky and my video light at that time was poor. And, both these videos are shot on first generation GP hero's when we had to do after market lens swaps to make them waterproof and non fish eyed. It has subtitling instead of voice because I really dislike my voice for narration and have had to work to over come that shyness. I finally broke down and bought a decent mic and began working on narration but still cringe a bit when I hear myself. This video (3:38) is an early attempt at it. For this I actually wrote a script and read from it..

Totally unnecessary and self promoting but this is my favorite feel happy video:

Last edited by Happy Feet; 06-24-19 at 11:10 AM.