Old 07-03-19, 10:23 PM
wttrjenkins
Tom

Bikes: Trek Domane AL2 / Genesis Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi, I'm newer here. I started cycling more seriously this year and biked close to 500 miles since June. I started it to try and get healthier but my inner "tightwad" came out and now I am deliberately looking for small things or errands I can do to not drive our only vehicle which is a truck. I still need to invest in a rear rack and bags. I'd like to get a trailer but might build one. I'd almost get rid of the truck completely at that point but we live in the middle of nowhere and use it to get firewood and any night time events such as school events with our kids. Our nearest grocery store is 16 miles one way and is a little rough. There is a 18 mile route that is smoother and a bit safer also. I've already biked this a few times now but really couldn't haul much without a trailer.

Since I won't be completely be going car free at the moment my plan is to eliminate any possible trips that I can make by bike. Also if we do happen to have the truck out and about I might as well haul back bulkier items. I'm not sure if the truck has been drove much more than 3 or 4 times in the last month which is a big improvement. Although I was already pretty frugal with trips. What I really enjoy now is if I want to go somewhere, I go and don't feel guilty about buying fuel for a 3 ton truck