Old 07-14-19, 06:22 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
My household is "car-light" but I consider myself "car-free" as I do not have a car in my name. My name is not on the title of my wife's car and we have a separation of property agreement in a prenup.

I kept the car maintained for about 15 years but now my new job hours does not give me time, so my wife has to deal with the maintenance. It's her car in the end and her responsibility.
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Consider yourself anything you like, including "car free".

BTW, does your wife require you to get all transportation as well as your own groceries, shopping and emergency service without any access or use of "her" car?
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
If I WANT a car, I rent one. If I NEED a car in an emergency I gotta catch a taxi or if I am lucky I can use her car. Since it is not my car, I can not count on it and my wife has her own life and is not concerned about my transportation needs.

In fact, she, like you, makes fun of me if I use it. Unless of course I am doing something for her, which is the most likely scenario if you ever see me driving her car.
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I don't make fun of your, or anybody else's use of the family car but your peculiar semantic gyrations about ownership of the car that is a part of your household in order to maintain your so-called "car free" status is hilarious.
I have posted that I consider myself (seriously) Car-Lite, with a condition similar to yours, @JoeyBike. It’s my wife’s car and I use it sparingly at her convenience, though I’m the major breadwinner.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Boston is probably one of the most Car-free cities in the world, and having a car is often detrimental. We live near the transportation hub of Kenmore Square.

Our easily accessible Car-free / Car-light modalities at home and work are:…
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I’m car-lite too, mostly due to family activities, but I’m the most amenable to car-free [in our family]…
A new twist is that our adult son who lives in our building recently bought a car, mainly for his weekday job, So now with three drivers (not including the daughter) we share two cars, me the lowest priority since I don’t have one.

I mostly commute by bike (14 miles) and convenient commuter rail, and nearly always use the car only on weekends when the Commuter Rail schedule is reduced and family activities frequent.

We live in an area with tight parking restrictions. nearly entirely two-hour metered parking, except on Sundays and Holidays, from 8 AM to 6 PM; many residential-only spots with vigorous enforcement; and only one block in this high-density residental and commercial neighbor with time-unlimited parking with a residential sticker.

We do own one deeded full-time unlimited parking space, that our son sometime uses. Our car is an SUV and more utilitarian than his sedan so we also share according to the purpose of the trip.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-14-19 at 11:54 AM.