View Single Post
Old 01-13-05, 07:40 AM
Jay H
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Late, I had my first flat in Exeter but didn't really stop by. We were really pushing it to get to York that day and the flat kind of delayed my time. We stopped in Exeter to borrow their floor pump so that's how I know. I believe there is a park right on the river that goes through so conceivable, there should be some very nice spots for lunch. That area by the river is very touristy and very trafficky but there are nice looking restaurants. The bike shop I'm referring too is just over the river.

As far as Bath/Brunswick, when I biked to Orient, ME up in "the county" we didn't follow the coastal route too much. My friend has an aunt in Augusta so we did go inland a bit once we go past Wells and Kennebunk. We camped at a campgroun on the west shore of Sebago Lake and then took some state roads past the twin cities of Lewiston/Auburn after a visit to the library to check email. Then we stayed in Augusta, ME for a night. Then we headed back to the coast to Stockton Springs to visit a good friend of mine. We stopped at the Penobscot Marine Museum in Searsport too. Then after a weekend there, we hightailed it 130 miles all the way to Orient, ME which was a killer trip, following the Penobscot all the way to Lincoln, through bangor before heading east to Danforth and then back onto Rt 1 to get to Orient. As far as navigation there, you could use a simple compass and head North That solves a lot of my navigation problems when touring. I use a Etrex Vista on a bikemount and I usually plug in destinations and select "goto". It's very helpful when you are truly lost and need to get somewhere and don't feel like backtracking!!!

I don't recall the routes, but getting to the Rt 1 bridge between Portsmouth and Kittery is very trafficky in tourist season and I'm not familiar with Rt 25, but obviously you'll have to cross the river somewhere!

I have all the NH maps, you can request them to snail mail them to you.. Follow that NH link and email the DOT point of contact, ask them to send them to you and they will. It's easier than to print them all out yourself. the Maine DOT bike map and the ones for the white mtns will give you a great route to bike from midcoast maine to the White Mtns. I was planning on going to Zealand Falls campsite to meet some friends there but I wound up going back to NJ first due to the time constraints and then we drove to the Whites.

Jay