cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Yeah. Sometimes it seems like they no longer make swords with just one edge. Every advance brings benefits... and difficulties. I do understand and relate to the Luddites, the cyclists in the C&V forums, and the guys in car free... even though I do love the tech stuff too.

I believe that work at home... and even small(er) satellite manufacturing facilities may be the next evolution in workplaces. But that doesn't mean I think people will always love the changes. But to remain current and employable people might do best to alter their own perceptions of how to work. And NEVER stop increasing their technology and other work-useful skill levels.
I pretty much agree with this. My only point was that people like the lady printing out her emails because she found she worked better that way, is not someone to be mocked. She was adapting to the technology in a way, or at a pace, that did not overly disrupt her productivity, but allowed her to keep doing the job her employer expected as well as she could. It's quite likely that over time she adapted to reading more stuff on screen and relying less on printing, and an employer who patiently nurtured that transition, would benefit from retaining a skilled and dedicated staffer, and creating a positive, productive milieu that boosted morale for all.