BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Panamericana w/BaFang 750w - 1300 miles, 55K feet climbed

Originally Posted by meadowlark
@BBassett - I was wondering whether you have an update on your TT Panamericana? I am looking at the new/soon to be released e-assist version. Do you ride it exclusively for touring or can you use it for commuter/city use? It's a big, expensive step for me, and there is little information on the Panamericana.

Thanks.

I saw the Panamericana ebike that TT is marketing and like everyone else they are doing all the same things wrong in my opinion. They are modifying the frame to hold the motor. They have a battery 1/2 the size they need to be using. They are making everything proprietarian. I also have received no help from TT when they were told about all the buying problems I had with Mr. White. That attitude scares me should any problems arise with the new model. I also wouldn't buy anything smaller than 750W motor which is bigger than most any european ebike. The difference between the Panamericana and other ebikes is the same thing that makes it stand out in a crowd, the frame that will support all the weight you need. As "RedandBlack" mentioned, John Isles and Cathy Colless have been using Panamericanas for years and have logged thousands and thousands of miles on theirs. I wrote to Mr. Isles and he informed me that neither of their bikes has required anything more than normal maintenance. They are the reason that I got my Panamericana, a truly inspiring pair that I admire with all my heart.

Before I give you any stats it needs to be pointed out that riding an ebike is not the same as riding a normal bike there is a whole new learning curve. Currently my bike weighs 115 lbs. loaded. And that's not a Full load. I carry two front panniers, motor, battery, water bottle, umbrella, ka-bar, locks, all the electronics riders carry today including a 5 lbs. bluetooth speaker and a over loaded handlebar bag. Each pannier weighs 20 lbs. I am 60 years old and weigh 290 lbs. That leaves two more panniers at 20 lbs. per bag and the TT Mule trailer carrying 70 lbs. of gear, food and water that will be added as training continues.

Ready for stats yet? Almost. There is no drag when you stop pedaling just like a traditional multi-geared bike. You can hear a soft clicking as the wheel turns but I don't feel any resistance... other than gravity trying to stop the 115 lbs. of bike I am riding. Don't get me wrong, the Schwalbe tires with tire liners, heavy tubes and tire additives don't make for great coasting. Also remember that the power from the chain is being transmitted to a Rohloff transmission which I highly recommend and works so beautifully with the BaFang motor. And the front rack is suspended which helps keep things smooth. Ok, so there are a ton of variables that will affect your own stats. That being said I am riding 40 to 50 miles on a single charge of the 24ah battery. NOTE: To extend the life of the battery I don't charge over 80% capacity and don't discharge past 20%. That leaves about 15ah of usable battery power. You are correct about peddling on flats and downhills but what you probably aren't thinking is that you ALWAYS pedal when going uphill. That is how you will save power. Use as little assist as possible both uphill and down. I will turn the assist Off when traveling downhill and turn it down as low as possible on flats and inclines. There have been times that with a good tailwind I can turn it off and pedal comfortably on flats at about 12 mph. I can also chase, catch and pass the streamlined, swelt, lycra clad traditional riders/racers that won't hardly even recognize me as a bike rider once they understand it's an ebike I'm riding. 30 mph is easy to reach if your aren't worried about conserving power, or say 15 miles per hour up a 10% grade. Distance or speed whichever is most important to you.

As far as using a Panamericana as a daily commuter with panniers and electronics etc... its a great (expensive) choice IF you have a place to keep it that you can relax and not worry about when stored. If you have access to secured storage or there are Bike Lockers available (LandscapeOnline.com) for you to use. Comfortable, durable, unique, and very versatile. Remember that if you buy a factory ebike it will always be an ebike. If you buy a bike and add a BaFang motor it can always be returned to the original setup. Both motors and batteries are evolving rapidly and won't necessarily be able to be upgraded on a factory produced ebike. I like the bike, I don't like the manufacturer. I like the motor, I don't like the weight of the big battery. $2500.00 for the Panamericana frame is expensive and it only gets worse as you add additional quality components. But those components are what makes the bike a truly unique and special ride. Last, but not least by any stretch of the imagination, remember that bike shops (for the most part) don't like ebikes. They don't understand them, they can't repair the electronics, the service techs. aren't trained on them and they are too expensive to fill a bike shop with on the owners dime. If you can build and maintain your own bike you can add a BaFang motor and maintain it too. Don't depend on bike shops for any help in this process all they want to do is sell you a factory produced bike, electric assist or not.

One last stat that may help. I rode 70 miles (https://ridewithgps.com/trips/10784713) with the bike at 115 lbs. and used 20ah of power. I charged the battery at the 1/2 way point for about 1 hour and 45 mins. totaling 6ah which got me home without dipping into the last 20% of the battery. I DO recommend the Panamericana when you get the Gold edition.