Old 12-21-18, 03:44 PM
toeytei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Yep, a shop can't afford to spend a couple hours to do a job right when they can sell a replacement part for $20 (nor would it be cost effective for the consumers).

On the other hand, there are many people that enjoy projects like that. Consider them to be "mancave puzzles".

The other issue is that while things like bearings and grease are available, there just isn't much of a distribution network for spare parts for the freewheels. Rings, pawls, etc.

I'd still go back to your LBS, and ask for any parts he removed from your bike (plus a waste basket full of everyone else's discarded freewheels).

If you have a modern splined freewheel, then buy the tool. You should be able to find it for about $5, and it should last a lifetime.

Supporting vintage freewheels with a variety of removal tools is up to you.
yeah I do enjoy working on it (I guess it's fun for at least the first few times). problem is I don't have all the tools and my bike is a chinese cheapo. the freewheel got no brand/model on it so I couldn't buy the tool online. bike shops don't sell them near my place.