Old 01-11-19, 04:50 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
One point is that each commute and commuter is different.

A lot of bike commutes are say < 5 miles each way, with alternatives such as a spouse to call with a car, or bus services. If say one breaks down halfway, that leaves about 2.5 miles which one can limp the bike along, or walk, or perhaps even drop off at the nearest bike shop.

I don't ride every day, but my "commutes" and utility rides are typically 20 to 40 miles RT (with a few much longer). And I'm very much self supporting. If I break down, I fix it on the spot. Buses are inconvenient for me at best, and nonexistent for the last 5 miles or so.

Critical failures 20 miles, or 70 miles from home can be stressful.

So, while one bike commuter may simply need a parka, then next will need rain gear designed to keep oneself dry from rain, and dry from sweat.

One may figure they can do without a pump or spares, the next will need pumps, tubes, chain tools, etc.
That would make the pumps or spare not "must haves" wouldn't it? I commute in full roadie gear on a road bike with tools and spare kit, except when I commute in winter cycling clothes on a bike with all those accessories and other goodies, except when I commute in regular office clothes and don't worry about it. So whatever I LIKE to have on me or with me, the only thing that I MUST have is the bike itself and frankly that could work for 99% of my commutes (or more).

It's not just a semantic distinction. If we're talking to new commuters, new cyclists, as Jim mentioned, it's not really doing them a favor to point to all of the goodies as "must-have" when they're really not. Don't make it harder and more elaborate than it has to be. If you want to ride to work, just get on the bike and go. If you want it to be more convenient, faster, more comfortable, more self-reliant, better training, we'll all have lots of suggestions but I don't want to lose sight of the fact that it works, possibly indefinitely, if all you do is straddle the bike and ride to work.