Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by qkcam
UPDATE:

for some reason i can't get the nut and the cone (washer? ) nut loosen from each other on the freewheel side.. gonna spray i guess with the pb blast and let it sit overnite.
come back to it tomorrow.
maybe i will be able to take it out .. for a little spin.. assuming i get all back together. next will be change out the handlebars maybe for a bit more upright.
I have a Falcon derailleur on the back of one of my 24" bikes, but the gear hub itself is Suntour.

If only one cone comes off the axle then that is good - unless you need to replace the cones. If you remove both cones then when you rebuild the axle not only must you adjust the cones, but also get the position of the cones right on the axle so you have enough thread on each end for the wheel nuts.

The gear hub should come off in one unit - the gears and the coaster/freewheel ratchet in one. If you take apart the freewheel part it is possible to rebuild it, but it is quite an advanced task as there are a lot of very small balls as well as the ratchet mechanism in there.

When you refit the gear hub to the wheel it is best to use the hub removal tool to keep the hub aligned with the very fine and very easily cross-thread aluminium threads on the wheel hub. Of course, before you put the gear hub on you will have refitted the axle: the axle will support the 'gear hub removal tool', and the tool will support your gear hub.

BTW, a pipe dream is from the time people sat on their asses, smoking their pipe, talking about all the things they were going to do one day...
Likes For Geepig: